Hemp Extract products have been associated with a number of benefits including coping with signs of stress and unease, promoting a healthy sleep cycle, and soothing muscle and joint discomfort, but what is Hemp Extract all about? With its increasingly popular reputation and use among a vast demographic of people, there is still so much to learn about one of nature’s “healers.” The good news is there is a lot of knowledge around Hemp Extract and a wealth of information at the ready. In our “Beginners Guide to Hemp Extract” we help break it down for you; making this an educational yet approachable guide, and provide facts that enable the buying and using process more simple.
- What is Hemp Extract?
- How does Hemp Extract work?
- Isolate vs. Full spectrum vs. broad spectrum Hemp Extract
- Does Hemp Extract get you high?
- Is Hemp Extract legal?
- How to use Hemp Extract
- How do I know how many Hemp Extract cannabinoids are in the product I’m purchasing?
- Where to buy quality Hemp Extract
What is Hemp Extract?
Hemp Extract contains over 80+ natural phytocannabinoids (naturally occurring compounds) found in and extracted from hemp, a plant belonging to the Cannabis Sativa family. Cannabinoids promote balance and overall wellness by moderating the communication between the cells of your body.* There are two types of cannabinoids: endocannabinoids, which your body naturally creates and phytocannabinoids, which are derived from cannabis and hemp.
Hemp and marijuana are often confused. They are two different species of the same plant family, but not the same. Most importantly, hemp contains no more than 0.3% of the cannabinoid THC, the psychoactive compound found in higher concentrations in marijuana. Quite simply, it doesn't get you high.
By contrast, hemp naturally contains higher levels of non-psychoactive cannabinoids that are known for helping the human body restore balance and support overall wellness.*
How does Hemp Extract work?
The cannabinoids found in Hemp extract are known to promote balance and overall wellness by helping to regulate the communication between the cells of your body.* It is known to do this by naturally supplementing and activating your body’s own Endocannabinoid System (ECS).
The endocannabinoid system is your built-in regulatory system that helps maintain equilibrium in your mind and body, even when external factors and certain lifestyle choices look to throw it off balance. You’ll find endocannabinoids everywhere from the immune system, brain, and central nervous system, to major organs, connective tissues, and glands.
Incredibly, this system was only discovered in the 1990s and is considered essential to your body’s ability to cultivate good health. Affecting processes such as sleep, appetite, digestion, metabolism, stress relief, memory, neuro-protection, hormones, and heart function, the ECS’s primary function is to maintain homeostasis or your internal stability. A stability that is often impacted by factors in your external environment. Also known as life.
The cannabinoids found in Hemp Extract can support your body’s natural ability to cope with stress, sooth discomfort and promote sleep by working with the ECS system, preventing endocannabinoids from breaking down. To provide further clarity and comfort, initial research suggests that unlike THC, the other cannabinoids found in Hemp Extract are non-psychoactive and acts as indirect antagonists to the effects of THC (2017 & 2008).
Isolate vs. Full spectrum vs. broad spectrum Hemp Extract
There are a variety of Hemp Extract options available which can make the process of selecting the right product for you overwhelming. You may come across Isolate, full spectrum and broad spectrum Hemp Extract, so it’s best to know the facts to help make your decision a more mindful one. To break it down:
- Isolate Hemp Extract is purified extract that is completely THC free but only contains one specific cannabinoid and does not contain any other beneficial cannabinoids, flavonoids, terpenes and fatty acids.
- Full spectrum Hemp Extract contains a rich assortment of cannabinoids and therapeutic compounds like terpenes, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals. Full Spectrum Hemp Extract however does contain detectable levels of THC at a concentration of around 0.3%.
- Broad spectrum Hemp Extract, like Full Spectrum Hemp Extract contains a rich assortment of cannabinoids, terpenes, amino acids, vitamins and minerals, but unlike full spectrum Hemp Extract, contains non-detectable levels of THC.
Both Full Spectrum and Broad Spectrum Hemp Extract benefit from what many call the “entourage effect, meaning that all the cannabinoids, terpenes, amino acids, vitamins and minerals work in synergy with each other to power your body, as nature intended.
Does Hemp Extract get you high?
The short answer, no. Rest assured you will not get high from Hemp Extract if it is properly produced. There are undetectable amounts of THC in broad spectrum Hemp Extract and trace amounts of THC in full spectrum Hemp Extract. THC has the ability to make us “high” by activating CB1 receptors. Healist products contain broad spectrum Hemp Extract, containing undetectable levels (0.0%) of THC. This means you cannot get high off of the products. We do however always recommend to review a products lab reports to ensure you are getting what it says on the pack. If a brand does not publish its lab reports, we’d recommend to search from one that does such as Healist.
Is Hemp Extract legal?
Yes, Hemp Extract is legal in all 50 states but this does not come without regulations, as stated by the Agricultural Improvement Act of 2018, also known as the Farm Bill, which concludes Hemp Extract is not considered illegal. The bill states that:
- The 2018 Farm Bill removes hemp from the Controlled Substances Act, paving the way for the wholly legal cultivation, possession, sale, and distribution of the hemp plant.
- Industrial hemp cannot contain more than .3% THC.
- State and federal governments share regulatory power over operations that cultivate and produce industrial hemp.
Rules and regulations are ever evolving as science and research advance. You can read more on the Farm Bill here.
How to use Hemp Extract
There are a variety of ways to take and use Hemp Extract including sublingual tinctures, ingestible, patches and topicals. It is important to first understand how you’d like to use the product in order to select the right format. Sublingual tinctures for instance, are known to have one of the highest bioavailability which means a faster onset, whilst a format like patches release ingredients slowly throughout the day for a more gradual, consistent experience.
Remember to look for the mg of Hemp Cannabinoids in the product not just the mg of hemp extract to ensure you’re getting what you expect in the product. See question below about how to ensure Hemp Extract Cannabinoid potency in the product you purchase.
There is no standard daily recommended intake (RDI) but see the guide below as a point of reference.*
Keep track using a daily journal so you can reflect on the benefits over time and adjust your dosage accordingly. It’s your body and you know it best.
How do I know the Hemp Extract Cannabinoids potency in the product that I'm purchasing?
This can be tricky given there are many brands making misleading claims and the category has yet to be tightly regulated.
Our tips on what to look out for:
- Make sure the product you’re buying includes a cannabinoid hemp extract, not hemp seed oil. As mentioned above, hemp seed oil might be great for your skin, but it does not contain any hemp cannabinoids.
- Look for the mg of cannabinoids in the product not just the mg of hemp extract. Hemp extract can have different concentrations of cannabinoids ranging from 20-90%. A product claiming 1000mg of hemp extract could actually contain anywhere between 20mg to 900mg of cannabinoids. This is one of the common ways that many brands are misleading consumers to the perceived quantity of cannabinoids in products. It’s for this reason that Healist products explicitly state the Hemp Extract Cannabinoids mg per serving on the front of each one of our packs.
- Check the Certificate of Analysis to ensure that what the product claims is actually in the product! A blind sample showed that 70% of Hemp Extract companies don’t actually match what they claim on the label. We’ve made a pact of total transparency for our products and publish lab reports for every single batch Healist manufactures.
Where to buy Hemp Extract
You have come to the right place! Healist offers US grown organic broad spectrum hemp extract + clinically backed active naturals to help restore balance and cultivate you’re your body’s innate capacity to heal.
At Healist, we are benefit led and offer range of products and formats to fit your lifestyle. Find calm, sleep, relief and overall wellbeing with Healist and reclaim your 100%. All our products are clean & natural, triple lab tested, vegan, cruelty free, non-gmo and are manufactured in GMP (good manufacturing practice) certified facilities. Our range includes:
- Calm Drops: Hemp extract cannabinoids + essential oils and custom calming terpene blend
- Calm Chews/Gummies: Hemp extract cannabinoids + ashwagandha, L-theanine and custom calming terpene blend
- Calm Infused Patch: Hemp extract cannabinoids + ashwagandha, rhodiola rosea, and L-theanine
- Sleep Drops: Hemp extract cannabinoids + essential oils and custom sleep terpene blend
- Sleep Chews/Gummies: Hemp extract cannabinoids + valerian root, essential oils and custom sleep terpene blend
- Relief Drops: Hemp extract cannabinoids + Turmeric Oil, Ginger Oil and custom relief terpene blend
- Body Relief Lotion: 150mg Hemp extract cannabinoids + menthol, camphor, arnica and botanical oils
- Extra Strength Body Relief Lotion: 300mg Hemp extract cannabinoids + menthol, camphor, arnica and botanical oils
- Sport Relief Roll-On Gel: 150mg Hemp extract cannabinoids + menthol, camphor, arnica and botanical oils
- Joint Relief Balm: 150mg Hemp extract cannabinoids + menthol, camphor, arnica and botanical oils
- Relief Infused Patch: 150mg Hemp extract cannabinoids + menthol, camphor, arnica and botanical oils
All Drops are available in two Hemp Extract Cannabinoid strengths (600mg/20mg per serving and 1200mg/40mg per serving) and two flavors (Peppermint and Citrus).